At the recent 58th Annual Grammy Awards held in Los Angeles, Tak Matsumoto appeared during Japanese broadcaster WOWOW's live coverage of the event as a guest. Actor-musician Johnny Depp and Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry appeared in the preceding segment to promote their supergroup Hollywood Vampires and were photographed by the staff with Tak as he emerges for the interview.
Today, the full ten minute interview is now available to be viewed below, complete with subtitles.
Translating all these interviews word by word takes a lot of time and effort, which has created a huge backlog on our part. To still keep you all updated with the latest information, we will from now on give you a quick summary of the most important points that have been made or revealed during each interview.
Be With! Vol. 108 was delivered to fanclub members in January 2016. The interview section is split up into "Tak Matsumoto" and "Koshi Inaba" interviews respectively. Both interviews were conducted at the end of November 2015.
Tak Matsumoto Interview
Tak was interviewed in his private studio in L.A., currently busy with recording. Below is a brief summary of what they talked about.
TV Asahi Dream Festival
- Enjoyed performing there very much
- Playing two versions of "ZERO" was Koshi's idea: playing one chorus in the way they played it during the "EPIC NIGHT" tour
- Didn't get to see the other artists as he was busy in his wardrobe
- Went to OZZFEST and saw 9mm Parabellum Bullet, Black Label Society, Hatebreed and BABYMETAL
- Wanted to see BABYMETAL and therefore went to OZZFEST; he liked BABYMETAL's performance very much
Fanclub Exclusive SHOWCASE
- Thought they had done a fanclub exclusive event before
- Was surprised that fanclub members remembered the lyrics to "hole in my heart" and "Naite Naite Nakiyandara"
- Would do such an event again if there was a plan to do it
New Songs For "The World Heritage"
- Made the ending theme first
- Producers of the show had a lot of requests regarding the main theme
- Hasn't decided on a title for the track yet
- Sometimes makes songs before deciding on a title; this seems to be the case here
- Jason Sutter on drums
- Juan Alderete on bass (also worked with B'z on "SUPER LOVE SONG" and "ACTION")
- Main theme for "The World Heritage" was recorded in L.A.
- Ending theme was recorded with Shane and Barry while on tour in Japan
- Akira Onozuka on piano
Song for Ukiyo-e Exhibition: "Ups and Downs"
- At the time he received the request, he had already finished all songs for the new album
- Decided to make one more song
- Thinking about putting that song on the new album as well
- Enjoyed working on the song as he also likes Ukiyo-e
- Recorded with Jason Sutter and Sean Hurley ("Kuroi Seishun" from "ACTION")
- Was looking for a drummer for next year's solo tour and wasn't sure about Jason Sutter, so he invited him to work on recording first
- Liked him as a person as well as his musical skills; Jason plays drums on over two-thirds of the new solo record
New Solo Album
- Didn't specifically choose to make a rock-style album; just makes what he wanted to do at the time
- He is self-producing the new solo album (compared to "New Horizon" with Paul Brown and Robert Williams)
Upcoming Solo Tour
- Two of his solo shows will be in big venues: Osaka Jo Hall and Nippon Budokan
- Thought something special could be done in bigger venues
- Unusual for instrumental performances to take place in big venues
- Will perform both new and old songs with a focus on the new album
- Fans will not get to see him sing
- Went to see LOUDNESS in LA
- Saw American Football for the first time; Watched UCLA vs UC Berkeley in the stadium
- A friend, who is a sports eventmanager, invited him
- Was surprised that a football game can take 3-4 hours to finish although each quarter is only 15 minutes.
- Still a secret what they are working on, but they are working on something
- As they promised, they will be back as B'z in 2016
Koshi Inaba's recent appearance on Japanese television program 「Music Station」has now been subtitled, including the world premiere of the full version of his upcoming single 「Hane」. The video found here is a condensed digest of the moments featuring Koshi (excerpted from the original broadcast which ran for four hours).
Koshi Inaba is scheduled to release his latest single 「Hane」 on January 13, 2016 and today, we have the song's music video available with subtitles. The video runs just over two minutes and is also available from the official B'z YouTube channel.
As previously covered in an earlier update, Koshi Inaba recently made a public appearance at HMV&BOOKS in the Shibuya Modi department store for a special radio interview. Today, as a holiday surprise, we have subtitled the entire 27-minute interview for all to enjoy. Because the program was a radio broadcast and we wanted to present the translation alongside the audio, we have created a video that we feel best presents the interview in a visual medium.
The interview took place during the「Happy Hour」program on InterFM 89.7, which broadcasts from inside the store. In the course of the show, Koshi premiered his upcoming single「Hane」and previewed another track from the upcoming release. In addition to the included previews of Koshi's two new songs, also be sure to stick around until the end for a special surprise. 「Hane」will be released on January 13th, 2016 and can be pre-ordered now from CD Japan and other retailers.
Earlier this year, B'z gave NTV program NEWS ZERO their first sitdown interview for a non-music program in seven years. Today, we are pleased to present the full segment subtitled for your enjoyment. Several topics are covered, such as their motivations and approach to working together, as well as Koshi's interest in Rakugo. For those unfamiliar, Rakugo is a form of comedy staged by a sole storyteller as a performance.
The announcement yesterday of Koshi's upcoming single「Hane」has generated numerous reports in the Japanese news media, one of which was this brief segment on News ZERO that we have subtitled and made available here. 「Hane」is a four track single and will be released on January 13th, 2016.
Our first look at the songs from the upcoming new B'z album「EPIC DAY」 began today, with album opener 「Las Vegas」 being announced as the theme song to the Red Bull Air Race Chiba 2015 event being held on May 16th and 17th. Furthermore, along with the tie-in information, a short version of the music video to 「Las Vegas」 has been uploaded to the B'z Official YouTube Channel. What's more: you can already enjoy a subtitled version of it below!
I finally got around to posting about the Tak and Slash interview published in the 「Young Guitar」 magazine today! But let's make one thing clear first: They did not announce a collaboration or something along those lines. But perhaps we will see one in the future, who knows? The article starts by explaining that Tak and Slash have a lot in common: They have their own Gibson Signature Models, they have won a Grammy Award, they both released a number of no.1 albums, ... So it was about time that the two sat down for a proper talk. As it turns out, they have even more in common!
Find out more after the break!